1. How do you grade used books?
We use IOBA Book Condition Definitions to describe both the book and the dust jacket, if applicable. However, as they say, caveat emptor !
Book definitions are very subjective and what is "Fine" according to me might well be "Very Good" as per your definition. This is the key reason why we try to provide as many pics of used books as possible.
We do not accept returns on books, so please verify the book details. Give us a buzz if you are not sure of the condition/book details.
General IOBA guidelines:
- AS NEW; FINE: Without faults or defects.
NEAR FINE: a book approaching FINE (or AS NEW) but with a couple of very minor defects or faults, which must be noted.[NOTE: From here on, there may be “+ (Plus)” or “- (Minus)” in a grade, which will mean that it is above the grade noted but not quite to the next higher grade for “+”, and that it is below the grade noted but not quite to the next lower grade for “-“, i.e., Very Good + (or Plus)/Very Good – (or Minus). Which means the book is better than Very Good and the dust jacket grade is less than Very Good.]
- VERY GOOD: A book showing some signs of wear. Any defects or faults must be noted.
- GOOD: The average used book that is totally complete (as issued) and intact. Any defects must be noted.
- FAIR: A worn book that has complete text pages (including those with maps or plates) but may lack endpapers, half-title page, etc. Any defects or faults must be noted.
- POOR or READING COPY: A book that is sufficiently worn that its only merit is the complete text, which must be legible. Any missing maps or plates must be noted. May be soiled, scuffed, stained, or spotted, and may have loose joints, hinges, pages, etc.
- EX-LIBRARY: Must always be designated as such no matter what the condition of the book.
- BOOK CLUB: Must always be noted as such no matter what the condition of the book.
- BINDING COPY: A book in which the text block, including illustrations, is complete but the binding is lacking, or in such poor condition it is beyond realistic restoration efforts.
- REMAINDER MARKS, BOOKPLATES, PREVIOUS OWNER’S NAME: These are faults and must always be noted, if they apply.
2. Do you accept returns on books?
- Returns are only accepted in case the book has visible signs of damage or is not as described on our site.
- In case of damage in the post, please give us a buzz via email. We will sort out a mutually acceptable solution.
- We do not accept returns if you change your mind and no longer want the book.
- Important: We do not accept returns on used or new books. These are sold as is.
3. What if I order several items/books and want to cancel one/few from the order?
- We are happy to modify the order, provided it has not been packed and dispatched.
- if you do want to modify the order, please contact us ASAP once the order has been placed.
- If you cancel an item from your order, then we will provide a refund less shipping charges for the item.